It’s our anniversary … and you get the present.
Sleek, responsive, and extremely versatile, the all-new 2015 Legacy is built for an uncompromising, dynamic driving experience. Road-gripping, corner-hugging Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive (AWD) delivers the ability for you to go where other sedans simply can’t. This Legacy is the catalyst to take you on an incredibly exciting journey that has to be experienced.
Bold, sophisticated styling, class-leading interior space, and improved handling, safety, and fuel efficiency – the sixth-generation Legacy puts it all together for the ultimate feeling of control and confidence. This flagship Legacy is loaded with more features – inside and out, and front to rear – so everywhere you look, you see the Subaru commitment to innovation, engineering, and technology for those who have a genuine passion for driving, our customers. This is more than a sedan. It’s a sedan designed and built by Subaru!
25 YEARS OF EVOLUTION
When the Legacy was first introduced in 1990, people weren’t familiar with front-mounted, water-cooled, horizontally opposed engines or all-wheel drive. In order to set us apart from every other sedan in the marketplace, Subaru prepared to break the world record for driving 100,000 kilometers (62,137 miles). It took only 18.5 days for the Legacy to establish a new world record and 13 international records, many of which still stand today. The Legacy bested records previously held by Alfa Romeo®, Saab®, and Porsche® with an average speed of 138.7 mph! (See Spring 2009 Drive.)
The 1990 Legacy was also a milestone vehicle because it was the first Subaru model to roll off the production line at the Subaru of Indiana Automotive (SIA) plant located in Lafayette, Indiana. Since its introduction, SIA’s production of the Legacy has totaled approximately 1 million. With more than 95 percent of all Legacy models sold in the last 10 years still on the road,1 it’s a true testament to manufacturing quality and durability!
SUBARU LEGACY HISTORY
Legacy and Outback: Siblings … but Separate
When the Legacy was introduced in 1990, it was offered in two body styles: sedan and wagon. The all-wheel drive wagon proved to be very popular and built a strong following – so much so that in 1996, a new model was introduced: Legacy Outback. It rode higher than the conventional station wagon and quickly developed a cultlike following.
For the 2000 model year, “Legacy” was dropped from the name, and it became the Outback (at that time you could get the Legacy and Outback in both sedan and wagon body styles).
For the 2007 model year, the Legacy Wagon was dropped, as was the Outback Sedan – from that point forward, Legacy was only offered as a sedan and Outback as a wagon, differentiating the two model lines.
Legacy: A History of Distinction
Subaru has always viewed the Legacy as its flagship sedan. Accordingly, over the years, there have been some unique models that are prized possessions of Subaru collectors.
Here are a few key Legacy models:
- 2.5GT spec.B: This rally-inspired, high-performance model was a limited-edition model with only 500 units made for the 2006 model year. It featured Bilstein® shock absorbers (hence, the B in spec.B) and 18-inch alloy wheels with performance tires for better handling. The spec.B was a regular model from 2007 through 2009.
- Legacy Sport: This designation was used for high-performance versions of the Legacy that featured turbocharged engines, similar to the engine used in the WRX STI. It showed how much fun you could have driving a Legacy.
- Outback Sedan: This was the ultimate niche vehicle – a sedan with high ground clearance in a world of SUVs. The Outback Sedan had quite a following in Snowbelt states, as it provided the style of a sedan and the practicality of the Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive system. Subaru ended production of the Outback Sedan in 2006.
- L.L.Bean® Edition: In 2000, to create a more upscale option, L.L.Bean became the official outfitter of Subaru, which in turn led to the “L.L.Bean Edition” Outback. The L.L.Bean trim level was the top of the line, with leather- and wood-trimmed interiors and all available options offered as standard equipment.
LEGACY: EYE-OPENING PERFORMANCE AROUND THE WORLD
Most sedans and wagons are great family cars … not great track cars. But Subaru proved that the Legacy – in both sedan and wagon form – could break records and win races.
Check out these results:
- 100,000km world record: In 1989, Subaru broke records held by Porsche, Saab, and Alfa Romeo when a turbocharged Legacy RS Sedan averaged 138.7 mph for 447 hours, 44 minutes, and 9.887 seconds (18.5 days).
- World speed record: In 1998, a Legacy Wagon set a world speed record for a mass-produced turbocharged station wagon – clocking 168.1 mph/270.5 kph.
- Rally cars: In 1990, Subaru started rally racing the Legacy in the World Rally Championship (WRC). By 1993, the car had its first win, capturing Rally New Zealand by beating highly respected competitors. For the 1994 rally season, the Legacy gave way to the lighter Impreza WRC car, which had a spectacular history of rally championships in the WRC. However, to this day, the Legacy remains a tough competitor in Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) and Rally America rally events.
- Alcan Winter Rally: Legacy and Outback have won this grueling rally several times: 1990, 1992, 2002, and 2006.
- GRAND-AM Legacy Wagon/Time Attack: In 2005, Subaru decided to go racing in GRAND-AM as well as time attack. It did so with a 2005 Legacy 2.5GT Wagon. GRAND-AM features road racing versus other vehicles, while time attack is racing against the clock.
- GRAND-AM 2.5GT spec.B: For the 2007 GRAND-AM Series, Subaru switched to a Legacy Sedan and, through 2009, won several races while in contention for class championships.
THE 25TH ANNIVERSARY OF SIA
When the Legacy was introduced to the world for the 1990 model year, it also became the first Subaru made in America, and it is still produced at the same plant!
Here are some interesting facts about the SIA facility:
- SIA received the J.D. Power® Platinum Plant Assembly Line Quality Award in 2013.
- SIA employs more than 3,600 associates.
- SIA was the first auto assembly plant in America to achieve zero-landfill status.
- SIA has been designated a Backyard Wildlife Habitat by the National Wildlife Federation.
- SIA was the recipient of the 2012 Governor’s Award for Corporate Service.
SIA plays an integral role in the success of the Legacy, and will continue to do so for many years to come.
Learn more about SIA.
THE ALL-NEW 2015 LEGACY
With today’s all-new 2015 Legacy, Subaru dialed up the driving experience to make it the most exciting, responsive, refined, and fun-to-drive sedan on the market today. This new Legacy comes outfitted with a wide array of industry-leading features for enhanced driving dynamics.
- Subaru proprietary EyeSight1 Driver Assist Technology has been awarded the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety top rating for its ability to actually mitigate front crash potential. EyeSight is one of the industry’s most effective crash-prevention systems. Read more about EyeSight innovations.
- Largest passenger volume in its class of sedan models (104.6 cu. ft.).2
- Faster, smoother, and more efficient, the new Lineartronic CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) provides seamless response to changing driving conditions and extremely efficient fuel economy. Standard equipment includes a six-step manual mode with paddle shifters, for those who enjoy a more spirited driving experience.
- Smooth handling and control come compliments of a new responsive Electric Power Assisted Steering system.
- Improved cornering performance through confidence-inspiring Vehicle Dynamics Control with Active Torque Vectoring that really holds the curves.
- Additional amenities include enhanced infotainment, available premium audio system, heated rear seats, keyless access with push-button start and PIN-code access, larger sunroof, and more!
AN ONGOING PASSION FOR TECHNOLOGY
From its very first vehicle until today, Subaru continues to lead the way by building cars for drivers who demand more.
- Subaru remains committed to its horizontally opposed, boxer engine designs, which have less vibration and contribute to a lower center of gravity. They add to the vehicle’s feeling of a refined drive. Thanks to innovative fuel-saving technologies like active grille shutters that close to reduce wind resistance, the new Legacy has outstanding EPA fuel economy, with an estimated 36 mpg highway.3
- For increased confidence behind the wheel, all Subaru sedans and SUVs are designed with Symmetrical AWD, which improves traction and handling. Subaru is the industry’s recognized pioneer in AWD development.
- The Vehicle Dynamics Control system and Active Torque Vectoring – the same feature found on WRX and WRX STI models – provides incredible cornering agility by applying the brake of the inner front wheel while distributing torque to the outer front wheel. It provides the ultimate in steering control and makes urban jungles and canyon roads equally desired destinations for your next adventure.
- For a more stable and smooth ride and overall better handling, Subaru increased the all-new Legacy frame’s torsional body stiffness by a remarkable 43 percent. Foam injected into the frame as well as liquid-filled engine mounts contribute to a significantly quieter ride.
SAFETY TAKES ON A NEW DIMENSION
The Subaru Legacy is an industry leader in safety technology. It boasts eight airbags,4 including new front-seat-cushion airbags.4 Other safety enhancements:
- Blind Spot Detection5 with Lane Change Assist5 warns of vehicles in your blind spots, which is especially helpful when changing lanes.
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert5 detects approaching vehicles you can’t see when backing up.
- Steering-Responsive Fog Lights pivot with the steering wheel to illuminate the road for better visibility.
EVEN THE AUDIO SYSTEM HELPS SAVE FUEL
Thanks to its quieter interior, you can enjoy the available 576-watt premium audio system with 12 Harman Kardon®6speakers, specifically designed and configured for the new Legacy interior. This GreenEdge™6-enabled system draws 50 percent less energy from the vehicle’s electrical system, which contributes to the engine’s efficient operation. Read more in this issue.
The 2015 Legacy is the most stunning Legacy to date, with bold, sophisticated character lines that are as appealing as they are functional with a 10 percent improvement in aerodynamic efficiency for better handling and reduced fuel consumption.
- Roofline was lowered for sleek styling without sacrificing head room.
- Acoustic windshield is raked back for improved aerodynamics – made of sound-absorbing material, this update contributes to a 15 percent quieter ride.
- New grille design boldly shows off the Subaru identity.
- Strong character lines give the Legacy a more aggressive, muscular appearance.
- Front-to-back styling runs throughout, with LED C-shaped marker lights and LED taillights that mimic the headlights to provide a cohesive design.
FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT DRIVING
The all-new, sixth-generation 2015 Legacy not only pays homage to its predecessors, it also paves the way for a whole new generation of Legacy lovers. This vehicle takes the Legacy to new levels of refinement, style, safety, performance, and technology – because Subaru realizes that you don’t just own a Legacy … you experience it.
Experience a Legacy today by visiting your Subaru retailer. Watch for more Legacy announcements from Subaru and your retailer, and enjoy the special events we have planned. Stay up to date.
The Legacy Sedan is beginning to arrive at Subaru retailers now. It’s a remarkable value, with a starting price of only $21,695.7
It’s not just a sedan. It’s a Subaru.
1 Based on IHS Automotive: Polk U.S. Total Registrations MY 2004-2013. 2 EyeSight is a driver-assist system which may not operate optimally under all driving conditions. The driver is always responsible for safe and attentive driving. System effectiveness depends on many factors such as vehicle maintenance, weather and road conditions. See Owner’s Manual for complete details on system operations and limitations. Please remember to turn off EyeSight when going through a car wash. 3 Data supplied by Motor Trend/website sources as of 1/7/14 using the IHS Automotive: Polk non-luxury traditional mid-size vehicle segment. 4 EPA estimate. Actual mileage may vary. 36 mpg is CVT North American model ONLY. 5 The airbag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) affords the driver and the front passenger additional protection in moderate to severe frontal and side-impact collisions and outboard 2nd row passengers additional protection in moderate to severe side-impact collisions. This system provides supplemental protection only, and seatbelts must be worn in order to avoid injuries to out-of-position occupants upon bag deployment and to provide the best combined protection in a serious accident. Children should always be properly restrained in one of the rear seats. See Owner’s Manual for recommended seating position. 6 Blind Spot Detection, Lane Change Assist and Rear Cross Traffic Alert are systems designed to assist the driver by monitoring the rear and side areas of the vehicle during a lane change or reversing and are not a substitute for safe and attentive driving. 7 Harman Kardon is a registered trademark and GreenEdge is a trademark of HARMAN International Industries, Inc. 8 Manufacturer’s suggested retail price does not include destination and delivery charges, tax, title, and registration fees. Destination and delivery includes handling and inland freight fees and may vary in some states. Prices, specifications, options, features, and models subject to change without notice. Retailer sets actual price.